Australian Embassy

Temporary Residence - Non-Business - Checklist

Checklist – Non-Business Temporary Residence

From 10 September 2012 the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) has introduced changes to the way that visa services are delivered in China. For more information see: IMPORTANT NEWS

Back to Temporary Residence (Non-Business)

On this page: Introduction; General document requirements; Subclass 419 additional document requirements.


Please read through this checklist carefully, as it details the types of documents you will be required to provide in support of your Visiting Academic (Subclass 419) visa application. It is important that you are able to complete as many of these requirements as possible prior to lodging your application, as this will ensure your application is processed without unnecessary delay. Please note that this checklist refers to a number of documents that are specific to China, as it assumes that the applicant is a Chinese citizen.

When organising required documents please have regard to the following:

• We only accept notarised / certified copies of official documents. In Australia, copies must be certified by a Justice of the Peace or Registered Migration Agent or a person before whom a Statutory Declaration can be made under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959 as a true copy of the original. In China, copies must be notarised by a Public Notary Office.

• Documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by an English translation. In Australia, translations must be performed by a NAATI (National Accreditation Authority of Translators and Interpreters) accredited translator. In China, translations must be performed and notarised by a Public Notary Office.

General Document Requirements

Form 147 - Application For A Temporary Residence Visa (non-business) completed in English and signed by the applicant;

Form 54 - Family Composition completed in English and signed by the applicant;

Visa application charge

• A valid passport;

• Notarial birth certificate;

• One recent passport sized photograph of each applicant. Please attach the photographs to Form 147;

• Postal address in Chinese script;

• Letter from your employer supporting your application and advising of any leave, salary or ongoing employment arrangements;

• Sponsorship approval letter from DIAC (if applicable to the visa subclass you have applied for);

• Notarial certificate of your highest education / degree qualification;

• Information about the amount and source of funds you have for your maintenance in Australia;

• If you propose to stay in Australia for over 12 months you must provide a Notarial certificate of No Criminal Conviction for the period that you have lived in China;

• You and all secondary applicants may be asked to provide police certificate for each country that you have lived in for 12 months or more over the last 10 years since turning 16; and• If you propose to stay in Australia for over 3 months you will be required to undertake an x-ray and/or health exam at a panel hospital during the processing of your application.

Subclass 419 Additional Document Requirements

• Evidence that the inviting institution has a sponsorship approved by the Immigration Department. This should be provided by the inviting educational institution.

• Evidence of an approved nomination for the proposed position, or that a nomination application has been lodged in Australia. This should be provided by the inviting educational institution.

• A letter of invitation from an Australian educational or research institution

• Health Insurance covering the proposed period of stay in Australia.

Living Allowances

Please note that, according to law, a Visiting Academic visa applicant is not to receive a salary (or similar) by their inviting institution as it is generally expected that they would continue to receive a salary from their home institution while in Australia. If a “living allowance” is offered by the Australian institution, then this should not be of an order that might constitute a salary.

The letter of invitation should indicate whether any payments by the inviting institution to the applicant are proposed and, if so, what the proposed amount is.

If you are undertaking research in Australia, please provide a research plan.

Secondary applicants

• Copy of marriage certificate or evidence of a de facto relationship

• Copy of birth certificate of secondary child applicant

Form 1229 Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18years. If both parents are not included in application, completion this form for each secondary applicant under the age of 18years included in the application.

• Copy of each non-travelling parent’s ID card with his/her contacts

• Evidence of Australian school arrangements for secondary child applicant

• Evidence of capacity to fund secondary applicants’ living in Australia

• Health insurance covering proposed period of stay in Australia for the secondary applicant

We encourage applicants to lodge complete applications, which include all required documents, as this allows us to process these applications more quickly. For more information, please refer to:

Please note: This is a guide only. Further information and/or documents may be requested during the processing of your application to assist our assessment. 

Back to Temporary Residence (Non-Business)