Australian Embassy

Visiting Australia

Back to Visas and Citizenship        English I 中文   


This page provides information on the most common Visitor and Transit visa types for applicants in China and Mongolia. For more information, use the Visa Finder to explore all visa options for visiting Australia.

Visitor visa (subclass 600)

The Visitor visa (subclass 600) lets you visit Australia for tourism or business visitor activities for up to three, six or 12 months per visit. This visa cannot generally be used for staying in Australia longer than 12 months and cannot be used to establish ongoing residence in Australia.

You must not work in Australia on this visa. Be aware of Visitor visa work scams.

You must apply for this visa online at ImmiAccount. Every person who wishes to apply for a Visitor visa must make their own individual application.

If you are travelling with other people (such as family members, colleagues, friends or as part of an organised study tour), we recommend that you lodge your applications together by selecting the ‘Group processing’ option in ImmiAccount  and choosing the appropriate group type.

For more information on online group lodgement please see Frequently Asked Questions: online visa lodgement for groups in China.

IMPORTANT:  All Visitor visa applicants under 18 years of age must provide evidence that their parents or legal guardian(s) consent to the grant of the visa.

This visa has five streams. You should apply for the appropriate stream depending on your intended activities in Australia. Further information about each stream is available by clicking on the links below:

Tourist streamfor people travelling to Australia for a holiday, recreation or to visit family and friends.

  • Please note that a visa with a 3 month stay period and 1 year validity period meets the requirements of most Tourist visitors to Australia.

Business Visitor stream

Sponsored Family stream 

Approved Destination Status (ADS) stream

Frequent Traveller stream - Due to COVID-19, biometric collection is currently unavailable in the People’s Republic of China. If you cannot provide biometrics outside the People’s Republic of China, you will not be able to apply for the Frequent Traveller stream at this time.

All applicants under 18 years of age must provide evidence that their parents or legal guardian(s) consent to their travel to Australia on a Visitor visa.

Transit Visa (subclass 771)

The Transit Visa (Subclass 771) lets you transit through Australia for no longer than 72 hours if your principal purpose of entering Australia is either to (i) pass through Australia in transit to another country, or (ii) pass through Australia to join a vessel as a crew member.

For more information see:  Transit Visas

Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601)

The Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) lets you visit Australia for tourism or business purposes for up to three months per visit.

Certain passport holders may be able to apply for an ETA as part of the Australian ETA mobile app pilot. See: I want to apply for a visa.
People’s Republic of China (PRC) passport holders are not eligible to apply for an ETA.

For more information about the ETA and how to apply, see: Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

After you have applied for an ETA, you should wait for a written notification which will be sent to you by email. In most cases, you will be notified of the result of your ETA application immediately. Sometimes there will be a delay before receiving your notification.

If you have been notified that your ETA cannot be processed or approved without further information, you can:

If you have not yet received your ETA notification, check your emails (including your junk mail folder) for a written notification from us. You may need to wait up to 12 hours after applying to receive your notification. You can also confirm if your application has been approved by checking your visa status through the AustralianETA app (if you applied through the app) or by using the Check an ETA function.

Please do not call or approach the Australian Embassy or Australian Visa Offices in Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou in person regarding your ETA application.

Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602)

The Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602) lets you travel to Australia for medical treatment or medical consultations.

For more information on this visa, see: Medical Treatment visa (Subclass 602)

eVisitor (subclass 651)

The eVisitor (subclass 651)  lets you visit Australia for tourism or business purposes for up to three months per visit. Only eligible passport holders can apply for an eVisitor.

PRC passport holders are not eligible to apply for an eVisitor.

For more information on this visa see: eVisitor (Subclass 651)

Back to Visas and Citizenship

Page Last Updated  30 September 2021