Australian Embassy

Getting Married in China

Marriage in Australia

Enquiries should be directed to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state in Australia in which you intend to register your marriage.


Marriage in China (between two non-Chinese citizens)

From 1 April 2019, two non-Chinese citizens can no longer register their marriage in China. Details can be found here (in Chinese only). 


Marriage in China (between an Australian and a Chinese citizen) 

The Consulate cannot confirm requirements for marrying in China. Chinese requirements vary between provincial marriage offices and are subject to change. You must contact the marriage bureau in the city where you intend to marry to confirm their current requirements.

Most Chinese provinces require a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI), which is issued in English only at an Australian embassy or consulate by appointment. At your appointment you must provide a completed (but unsigned) CNI application form and all the following original documents - your passport, your partner’s Chinese passport OR ID, your divorce certificate OR the death certificate of your former spouse, and your partner’s divorce certificate OR the death certificate of their former spouse. The supporting document requirements are listed on the Smartraveller website.

Following your marriage, you will be issued an official Chinese marriage certificate. If you intend to use your marriage certificate in Australia, you should contact the Chinese Notary Public Office to arrange for an official notarised translation of the certificate.

Further information is available from the Smartraveller website Getting married overseas.


Taking your partner to Australia

For information regarding Visa and Citizenship applications in China (including application fees, forms and how to lodge), please click here.