From 21 February 2022, all visa holders who are fully vaccinated for international travel purposes can travel to Australia without a travel exemption. Unvaccinated visa holders will still need to be in an exempt category or hold an individual travel exemption to enter Australia.
Visa holders who meet the definition of ‘fully vaccinated’ for the purposes of Australia’s international border entry requirements, can travel to Australia without needing to apply for a travel exemption.
From 21 February 2022, this includes all visa categories that allow travel to Australia.
People who do not meet Australia’s vaccination requirements for international travel are not eligible to travel to Australia without a travel exemption, unless they are in an exempt category.
All other people seeking to travel to Australia must apply for a travel exemption.
Visa holders who arrive in Australia who are not fully vaccinated in accordance with Australia’s international border entry requirements, and do not have a medical contraindication as defined by the Australian Government, or hold an individual travel exemption granted by the Commissioner of the Australian Border Force or their authorised decision makers, may be liable for visa cancellation, detention and removal from Australia.
If you are travelling to or from Australia you can check what you need to do before you travel by following the below guides:
- Preparing to leave Australia
- Preparing to travel to Australia from overseas.
- If you are fully vaccinated for international travel purposes, you can travel to Australia without needing to apply for a travel exemption. You must have a valid visa to travel. Visit our website to explore your visa options.
- If you do not meet Australia’s international travel vaccination requirements you are not eligible to travel to Australia without a travel exemption, unless you are automatically exempt.
- Due to COVID-19, some visa processing times have been affected and applications may take longer to finalise. You should not confirm your travel arrangements until you have been granted a visa (unless you are a New Zealand citizen).
- You can submit your visa application online through ImmiAccount.
Page last updated 23 February 2022