Australian Embassy

Resident Return Visa - Subclass 155 & 157

Back to Visas and Citizenship        English I 中文   



Back to Applying for a Visa to Australia

On this page: Introduction; Applying for this visa online; Applying for this visa in person 


The purpose of the Resident Return Visa (RRV) is to allow current or former Australian permanent residents, or former Australian citizens to re-enter Australia after travelling overseas. This visa will allow you maintain your status as an Australian permanent resident on your return to Australia.

Most applicants for the Resident Return visa are granted a visa which allows them to travel for up to five years.

To be granted a visa for five years, you must have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least two of the last five years. Alternatively, if you do not meet this residence requirement but you can demonstrate substantial ties of benefit to Australia you may be eligible to be granted the visa for one year.

If you do not meet the requirements of the subclass 155 visa you will be assessed for the subclass 157 visa which can be granted for three months.

The criteria for the grant of an RRV are detailed and may vary according to your personal circumstances and residency history. To see if you may be eligible for the grant of an RRV visit the Department of Home Affairs website at


Applying for this visa online

Most people applying for an RRV are eligible to make an online application using the Department of Home Affairs eVisa service.

The eVisa service lets you complete, pay and lodge your visa application to Department of Home Affairs via the internet. A unique Transaction Reference Number (TRN) is given for each application. You can download a copy of your application and receipt and add supporting documents to your online application. Once the application is submitted you can make an online enquiry about the progress of the application using the eVisa Query Application Status (QAS) page.

For information on making an online RRV application please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website at

If you have any enquiries or issues regarding your ImmiAccount or online application, you can request help using the ImmiAccount Technical Support Form.

Further support for using ImmiAccount can be found at the following website:


Additional charges for people who do not apply for an RRV online

If you are eligible to lodge an RRV application online through the Department of Home Affairs eVisa service, but you choose to apply using a paper form and lodge it in person at your nearest Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC), you will need to pay additional service fees at the time of lodgement.  

Please see: Visa Application Charges


Applying for this visa in person

If you choose to lodge your application in person, you may do so at your nearest Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC).  See: Where to Submit a Visa Application.  

** Please note that applications are no longer accepted at the Australian Consulate Guangzhou. **

The following information is designed to assist you in preparing and submitting your application:

 • Checklists (including application forms) - Checklist - Resident Return Visa
 • Lodging a Visa Application in China (including important information about where to submit your application)
 • Visa Application Charges and Payment Options
 • Processing Times
 • Visa Labels
 • Please refer to the General Information page for detailed information on:
    • Health Examinations
    • Appointing a Migration Agent or Authorised Recipients
    • Supporting Documents
    • Document Fraud
    • Verification Checks
    • Decision Notification
    • Contacting Us
    • Providing Feedback


Further Information

For information on visas not featured on this website, and for more information on those that are, visit the Department of Home Affairs website at


Back to Visas and Citizenship 

Page Last Updated  31 May 2018