Australian Embassy

Parent Migration

Back to Visas and Citizenship ► MIgrating to Australia        English I 中文   




Generally, the following are requirements for all parent categories:

  • You must be a parent of a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • Your child must be settled in Australia (in most cases as a resident for at least 2 years) and must sponsor you.
  • You must pass the balance of family test – at least half of your children must live permanently in Australia or you must have more children living permanently in Australia than in any other single country.
  • You must meet health and character requirements
  • If you are applying for any category that has the word ‘aged’ in its title, you must meet the definition of an Aged Parent (see the Parent Migration booklet)


Visa Options

Parents can apply for migration to Australia under one of the following visa classes:           

  • Parent Migrant (subclass 103) 
  • Contributory Parent Migrant (subclass 143)
  • Contributory Parent Temporary (subclass 173) 
  • Aged Parent (subclass 804)
  • Contributory Aged Parent Residence (subclass 864)
  • Contributory Aged Parent Temporary (subclass 884)


Applying for this visa

You need:

  • Form 47PA
  • Form 40 (signed by your sponsor)
  • Form 80
  • Application fee
  • Other supporting documentation (refer to part K of form 47PA).

Please note: all application forms can be downloaded from

IMPORTANT - PLEASE NOTE: All parent migration applications must be lodged by mail or courier to the processing centre in Australia.

By mail:     
Department of Home Affairs - Parent Visa Centre (PVC)                                       
Locked Bag 7                                      
NORTHBRIDGE WA 6865                   

By courier:
Department of Home Affairs - Parent Visa Centre (PVC)
Ground Floor
Wellington Central
836 Wellington Street
WEST PERTH WA 6005                                            

Communication with sponsors in Australia

Unless applicants are represented by a Migration Agent, the Parent Visa Centre prefers to direct all correspondence and processing requests through the sponsor in Australia. This will enable the sponsors to communicate quickly with their parents to advise and assist them with processing requirements as well as keeping them abreast of the application progress.

To allow the Parent Visa Centre to communicate with sponsors in this way, parents applying for migration to Australia should request their sponsoring child to complete and sign Part N of Form 47PA. If this section is not completed, the Parent Visa Centre will continue to send correspondence and requests for processing direct to the applicant overseas. 

For further information on Parent migration, visit


Further Information

For information on visas not featured on this website, and for more information on those that are, visit the Department of Home Affairs website at


Back to Visas and Citizenship ► MIgrating to Australia 

Page last updated 23 January 2018