Australian Embassy

General Information

Back to Visas and Citizenship        English I 中文   



Online Services

The Department of Home Affairs encourages all visa and citizenship applicants and visa holders to use online services where available. ImmiAccount is the front door to our online services.

If you want to lodge an application:

PRC passport holders outside Australia can currently apply for most visa subclasses online. You can use ImmiAccount to:

  • apply and pay for a visa or citizenship online
  • attach documents to your application
  • check the progress of your application including whether you need to take any action (such as doing a health assessment or providing further documents)
  • organise your health examinations (if required)
  • view application correspondence

To check the status of your application, open your application in ImmiAccount and go to the ‘My applications summary' screen. An 'Action required' flag will also be displayed if you are required to provide more information in support of your application.

If you have already submitted your application online and need to update your details:

You can use the following online forms in ImmiAccount to update your details:

  • Appointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (including migration agent)
  • Change of address details
  • Change of email address details
  • Change of passport details
  • Notification of changes in circumstances
  • Notification of incorrect answer(s).

To access the forms, open your application in ImmiAccount and go to the 'Update us' link.

If you already hold a visa or need a copy of your visa grant notification:

As a visa holder you can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) or the myVEVO app to check your current visa details and conditions. You can also send your visa details to any email address you like.

If you cannot find your departmental reference number or you no longer have your visa grant notification you can request this information by completing the Request for reference number form and your reference number will be emailed to you.

If you have a valid visa but now have a new passport:

You should advise us of a change of passport details if you currently hold a visa, as your visa is associated with your passport.

If you need to make any changes to your address or passport details you can notify us by one of the following methods:

For further information see: How can I update my address or passport details?

If you have submitted a paper application at an Australian Visa Application Centre:

You can track the status of your application online. See: or telephone +86 20 2910 6150.


Health Requirement and Medical Examinations

For the purposes of Australian visa applications, China is currently listed as a higher risk country for Tuberculosis (TB). This applies both to Chinese citizens and other visa applicants who have spent more than 3 consecutive months in the last 5 years in China or another higher risk country.

As such, you may be required to undergo a health examination as part of the visa application process, if your circumstances fall into one of the following categories:

• If you plan to stay in Australia for 6 months or more, you are required to undergo a chest x-ray & a medical examination;
• If you are likely to enter a health care or hospital environment in Australia, you are required to undergo a chest x-ray and a medical examination;
• If you are pregnant and intend to give birth in Australia, you are required to undergo a hepatitis B test;
• If you intend to work as (or study to be) a doctor, dentist, nurse or paramedic, you are required to undergo a chest x-ray and a medical examination (including HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C Blood tests);
• If you are likely to work (or be a trainee) at an Australian childcare centre, including preschools and creches, you are required to undergo a chest x-ray and a medical examination;
• If you are aged 75 years or older and applying for a Visitor visa (subclass 600), you are required to undergo a medical examination.
Please note that the chest x-ray requirement applies to applicants aged 11 years or over. Children under 11 are required to complete a medical examination instead of a chest x-ray.

The department does not recommend that pregnant visa applicants undergo a chest x-ray. Applicants should contact their case officer to see if any alternative arrangements are available.

If you are applying for a visa while outside Australia you must arrange your medical examinations with a panel doctor. A panel doctor is a doctor or a radiologist who has been appointed by the Australian Government to perform medical examinations on applicants for Australian visas outside Australia.

To find a panel doctor visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.
See: Immigration Panel Doctors

More information on the Health Requirement is available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.
See: Meeting the Health Requirement

Health Insurance

You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. Chinese citizens are not covered by Australia's national health scheme (Medicare).

It is recommended that you take out health insurance each time you travel to Australia.

Health insurance will be requested for clients who are aged 75 years or older, or who are parents of Australian citizens/permanent residents and request a length of stay in Australia of up to 12 months.

Clients aged 75 years or older

In recognition of the higher potential public health costs in respect of Visitor visa applicants aged 75 years older, evidence of private health insurance or travel insurance covering the applicant’s entire proposed period of stay in Australia may be requested. Only in very limited circumstances is it likely that clients will be able to provide evidence of sufficient personal funds to cover any possible medical/hospital costs for the period without taking out insurance.

All clients aged 75 years or older must therefore submit a health insurance policy which provides sufficient coverage for their health needs while they are visiting Australia. Under local policy, sufficient coverage for stays of three months or less is considered to be a minimum benefit of CNY 500,000 for Medical Reimbursement costs.

The visa stay period granted will be strictly for the period for which the insurance cover is provided.

Parents of Australian citizens/permanent residents

Longer validity Visitor visas granted to parents of Australian citizens/permanent residents are subject to Condition 8501, which requires that the visa holder must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance while in Australia.

Under policy, an adequate level of health insurance is set out at Attachment A. We strongly recommend that health insurance is held with an Australian insurer, as this will generally comply with the requirements. However, cover can also be made through a reputable local insurer that provides the same level of cover. The health insurance policy must be fully comprehensive (that is, it must provide at least Medicare equivalent cover and provide hospital, emergency, general practitioner and pharmaceutical benefits) and as per Attachment A item i) the per person per annum benefit must not be less than AUD$1 million dollars.

Please note that, for the grant of the visa, you must demonstrate that you have health insurance cover for the first 12 months of your proposed visits. You will also need to ensure that you are adequately covered on any subsequent visits, or your visa may be liable for cancellation.

Please also note that obtaining insurance does not guarantee that the visa application will be approved. If the applicant has paid for the insurance policy and the visa is refused, it is a matter for the applicant to seek from the insurer a refund of any amount paid. 

Character Requirement and Penal Clearance Certificates

Everyone who wishes to enter Australia must be assessed against the character requirement.

For the Australian Government to determine whether you are of good character, you may be asked to provide penal clearance certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more over the last ten (10) years since turning 16. These certificates are also known as a police certificate in some countries.

If you are required to obtain a penal clearance certificate, this will be indicated on the relevant visa application checklist or your case officer will advise you.

Instructions on obtaining a penal clearance certificate from an overseas government or law enforcement authority are available in the document ‘Character Requirements: How to obtain a police certificate’. This document also provides detailed information on how to obtain such a penal clearance certificate from China, available under the heading ‘Asia-Pacific’ and listed as‘China (People’s Republic Of)’. See: Character Requirements: How to obtain a police certificate 

Appointing a Migration Agent or Authorised Recipient 

Under the Privacy Act 1988 DIBP can only provide information about a visa application to the applicant, an authorised person or an appointed migration agent. If you wish to appoint a migration agent or another person to receive information about your application, please complete Form 956 or Form 956A.
See: Form 956 Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance
See: Form 956A Appointment or withdrawal of Authorised Recipient 

Supporting Documents 

It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all supporting documentation that will assist in assessing eligibility for a visa. Delays and or application refusal can result from forms not filled in fully, truthfully or accurately; by lack of proper documentation; or if you do not meet the relevant criteria. 

We reserve the right to verify any documents lodged with your application with a document issuing authority, a relevant third party, or via document examination techniques. Applications containing false or misleading information will most likely be refused. We expect you to advise us of any changes to the information you have provided as soon as the change happens. 

Document Fraud

It is a serious offence to misrepresent yourself, or one of your family members when making an application for an Australian visa. This includes making false or misleading statements, or submitting false information or false documents with your application.

Even if someone else completes your application for you, you are responsible for it. On 2 April 2011, the department introduced a Public Interest Criterion (PIC) which allows certain visa applications to be refused where false or misleading information is provided to the department.

It is better to explain why you do not have a document than to submit a false document with an application.
See: Introduction of Fraud Public Interest Criterion

Verification Checks

For bona fide purposes, applicants for all subclasses of visas may be subject to verification checking, which may include telephone interviews, third-party telephone checks, document examination, checks made with document issuing authorities, face-to-face interviews and site visits.  

Decision Notification 

For legal reasons, all advice of visa decisions is made available only to an applicant, an authorised person, or an appointed agent. If refused a visa, applicants are notified of this in writing giving reasons for refusal.  

Visa Labels

Visa labels are generally no longer required as evidence that you hold a visa. For further information, see: About Visa Labels  

Providing Feedback

Your feedback is valuable to us. We use this feedback to improve our services and investigate and respond to any issues of concern.

We encourage you to submit any feedback through the Online Form – Compliments, Complaints and Suggestions

Further information on providing feedback and other contact methods are available at: Provide feedback – compliments, complaints and suggestions


Back to Visas and Citizenship

Page last updated 28 August 2018