Australian Embassy

Having a Baby in China

Having a Baby in China

Before the baby is born.

1. How do I choose a hospital?

A current list of hospitals and medical clinics with English speaking services is available by contacting the Embassy.

After the baby is born.

2. How do I get a birth certificate?

The hospital will issue you a birth certificate.

To facilitate passport processing please have the hospital write down both parents’ full English names on your baby’s birth certificate (exactly the same as on your Australian passport). If one of the parents is a Chinese national, please have the hospital record both the Chinese name and alphabetic PinYin name on the Birth Certificate.

3. Is my baby automatically an Australian citizen*?

No. You will need to apply for an Australian Citizenship by Descent Certificate through the Immigration Department at the Australian Embassy.

This certificate is required before a passport can be issued.

*Refer to Note below

4. How do I apply for a passport for my baby?

You can apply for an Australian Passport through the Consular Office at the Australian Embassy. See the passport section for more information on applying for an Australian passport.

5. Does my child need a visa?

Yes. Your child will need to obtain a visa/permit. The Embassy provides a letter when issuing passports to facilitate visa processing. According to Chinese visa regulations, foreign babies cannot exit China until they obtain a one-time Exit Visa/Permit.

NOTE: Chinese and Australian laws governing citizenship differ. Pursuant to Section 10B of the Australian Citizenship Act, 1948 Australian Citizenship by descent may be acquired by a person born outside Australia who is the natural child of an Australian parent. However, Article 3 of The People’s Republic of China Nationality Law does not recognise dual nationality. And Article 4 of The People’s Republic of China Nationality Law states that any person born in China whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. This may mean a child born to a Chinese national, regardless of their partner’s nationality, will automatically acquire Chinese citizenship and may experience problems when applying for a Chinese exit visa at some local Public Security Entry and Exit Bureaus because the Chinese government does not recognise their Australian citizenship (even though Australia does).

In some cities, the Municipal Public Security Entry and Exit Bureau issue a one-time exit permit to assist the child to leave the country. But the local public security entry and exit bureau in many other cities do not offer such service. In order to legally leave the country, the parents will have to apply with the local public security authorities to renounce the Chinese citizenship for the child. The process can take more than three months. Once the child's Chinese citizenship is officially forsaken, the local public security entry and exit bureau will recognise the child's Australian passport and issue an exit visa for the child.

For further details on this issue contact your local Public Security Bureau or the Australian mission closest to you. The contact details of the Beijing Public Security Entry and Exit Bureau are:

Tel: 010-8402 0101
Add: No 2 Dong Dajie, Andingmen, Dongcheng District, Beijing