Australian Consulate-General
Hong Kong

VISMG: Visiting Australia

Visa and migration

[ Visiting Australia ]

All travellers to Australia, except New Zealand citizens, must obtain a visa or travel authority before travelling to Australia.

Nationals of certain countries (including Hong Kong SAR, British National Overseas and Taiwanese passport holders) can obtain an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA).

Further information on ETA eligibility and how to apply is available at:

Nationals of countries that are not eligible for ETA including holders of Hong Kong Document of Identity must apply for a visa prior to travel. If you are resident in Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan you should lodge your application with the Australian Consulate-General in Hong Kong.

Clients in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan can lodge their Visitor, Transit, Student and Resident Return Visa applications by email.

From 23 March 2013 the government intends to introduce significant changes to the Visitor visas (including short stay business visas) and Medical Treatment visas. These changes are subject to the approval of the Governor-General in Council.

Further information is available at:

If you intend to lodge your application for a visitor visa, medical treatment visa or short stay business visa on or after 23 March 2013 please check our website for up to date application requirements.

If you are travelling for tourism, see: Tourist Visitor Visas.

If you are travelling for business, see: Business Visitor Visas.

If you are an Australian citizen, you should enter and leave Australia on your Australian passport. If you do not hold an Australian passport you will need to apply for one at the Passport Office of the Australian Consulate-General.


Page Last Update: 22 March 2013