- About us
- Visas and Citizenship
- Travelling to Australia
- Services for Australians
- Australia-China relationship
- Doing business with Australia
- Study in Australia
- Development cooperation
- Education and Research
- About Australia
- Cultural and Community Events
- Travel advice
- Register with us
About Visa Labels
On this page:
• Cessation of Australian visa labels
• Do I need a visa label in my passport to travel to Australia?
• How will I know I have been issued a visa if I don’t have a visa label?
• How do I check if I have a valid visa if I don’t have a visa label?
Cessation of Australian visa labels
From 1 September 2015 visa holders will no longer be able to request and pay for a visa label. Visa holders can access their visa record through our free Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service or the myVEVO mobile app.
Do I need a visa label in my passport to travel to Australia?
No. Australian visas are recorded electronically. You do not need a visa label in your passport to travel to, enter or stay in Australia. When you check-in to fly to Australia, airline staff will electronically confirm that you have a valid visa to travel to Australia before you board the plane.
The Australian Government cannot give advice about other countries’ travel or visa requirements. You should check with any relevant foreign government authorities prior to any travel.
How will I know I have been issued a visa if I don’t have a visa label?
We will send you a visa grant notification letter if we grant you a visa. This letter will explain the conditions of the visa, including any entry requirements.
You should keep this letter with your passport when you travel to and from Australia. Keep it in a safe place when you are not travelling.
How do I check if I have a valid visa if I don’t have a visa label?
You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa status and entitlements.
Your visa details are attached to the passport information you gave us in your application and are linked to this passport in our systems.
To login to VEVO, you will need your passport and personal information, plus one of the following:
• a Transaction Reference Number (TRN) – we give you a TRN if you applied for your visa online
• a visa grant number – you can find this on your visa grant notification letter
• if you are in Australia, a password for you to use VEVO
• for your convenience, if you have an existing visa label in your passport, you can use the visa evidence number from the label.
Foreign governments are aware that Australia does not require a visa label. Most people now travel to Australia without an Australian visa label in their passport.
Usually government officials of other countries do not need to know that you have a valid visa because airline staff confirm your visa status before allowing you to board the plane.
It is your responsibility to confirm other countries’ visa exit and transit requirements.
For further information, please go to http://www.border.gov.au/aboutyourvisa
Page last updated: 31 August 2015